Apply to Become an Emergency Responder (RSER) Instructor
- Applicant understands and agrees that applying to be trained and serve as an emergency responder instructor is voluntary. No contract, other rights or benefits are acquired by applying or serving in this capacity.
- Carefully review all information included in the online application for accuracy; once the application has been submitted it cannot be edited or changed. Applicants will be notified of status after applications have been reviewed.
- Approved applicants will be considered for attendance at a future Rail Safety for Emergency Responder Instructor's course. Attending the course may involve travel expenses. Operation Lifesaver does not cover travel expenses (vehicle/air, lodging and meals, etc.)
- Operation Lifesaver will provide pertinent training and all class materials at no cost to the student.
- A computer with the appropriate PowerPoint slide projection system is required to instruct an RSER class.
- Approved applicants will be notified of slot availability in advance of a training class. Study of provided materials in advance of the class may be required for attendance.
- Approved applications remain active for four (4) years. At any time, approved applicants may withdraw by notifying Operation Lifesaver in writing. An applicant may also request an extension of the four-year period by writing to Operation Lifesaver.
- Operation Lifesaver reserves the right, in its sole discretion based on the best interests of the organization, to terminate an application at any time. Applications may, for example without limitation, be terminated for failure to: Meet minimum standards criteria; attend a scheduled training class; or successfully complete and pass the training course.
If you have read, understood and agreed with the above conditions and want to apply to be an RSER instructor, you may Apply Online.
NOTE: RSER instructor applications have been suspended for the time being. Please contact Ken Gilsdorf with any questions.
Become a Volunteer
If you enjoy public speaking and would like to tell people about safety around the rails, please contact your State Coordinator about becoming an Operation Lifesaver Authorized Volunteer.
- Complete Authorized Volunteer E-Learning ("The AVE") Course.
- Conduct a successful full public activity within 90 days of completeing the course.
- Agree and abide by all policies and procedures in the Volunteer Application.
- Provide a minimum of four activities per year to maintain your status.