Each year, Operation Lifesaver's network of trained, certified Presenters conduct free programs on rail safety education for hundreds of groups around the country.
Most OL Presenters are volunteers donating personal time to speak with schoolchildren, community organizations, driver ed classes, professional truck and bus drivers, emergency response personnel and law enforcement officers, educating them about highway-rail grade crossing safety and the importance of staying off railroad tracks and property.
Additional Presenters represent local, state and federal government agencies, private companies, railroads and other organizations. No matter where they're from, our dedicated Presenters share a common goal: To reduce the likelihood of collisions between people/vehicles and trains through rail safety education.
Become a Volunteer
In 2013, Operation Lifesaver is transitioning from a certified presenter program to the OLAV program. Certified Presenters can go through the online OLAV training when it becomes available, and are able to be both an OL Presenter and an OLAV through 2013.
Steps to becoming an Operation Lifesaver Authorized Volunteer (OLAV) - Coming Soon!
- Volunteers will first attend the online classroom, “The AVE” (Authorized Volunteer e-Learning), which will be available 24/7, whenever it fits YOUR schedule. You can save your progress in the online training module, and are encouraged to complete it over more than one session.
- After completing the AVE online classroom, the next step will be to attend an in-person classroom session or videoconference where you will complete the OLAV process.
- Authorized Volunteers will continue to report their safety activities via Operation Lifesaver’s online reporting database, so they can easily keep track of their presentations, training and special events.
- With the new OLAV program, OL volunteers will have many more options to choose from for interacting with an audience.
- Volunteers must fully understand and agree to abide by all OLI general policies and procedures as stated in the Volunteer Application.