Schedule an RSER Course
Our four-hour long RSER course, offering optional hands-on field exercises where facilities permit, provides training for emergency response personnel, including fire, EMS, emergency management agencies, military and homeland security personnel.
The course includes information critical for preparing emergency personnel to respond to railroad incidents such as:
- followup response to the collision scene;
- overview of on-scene hazards, including electrical, mechanical, chemical, and others;
- equipment and rolling stock identification;
- an overview of hazardous materials;
- how to stop a train in an emergency; and
- interpreting train consist documentation.
Use our online signup form to schedule an RSER course.
Become a Volunteer
If you enjoy public speaking and would like to tell people about safety around the rails, please contact your State Coordinator about becoming an Operation Lifesaver Authorized Volunteer.
- Complete Authorized Volunteer E-Learning ("The AVE") Course.
- Conduct a successful full public activity within 90 days of completeing the course.
- Agree and abide by all policies and procedures in the Volunteer Application.
- Provide a minimum of four activities per year to maintain your status.