News & Events
Operation Lifesaver, Inc. Announces New Members on Board of Directors
WASHINGTON, DC, May 17, 2017 – Bonnie Murphy, president and CEO of Operation Lifesaver, Inc. (OLI), announced the addition of three new members for the national nonprofit organization’s board of directors, following an OLI board meeting in Washington, DC, on May 11.
“OLI’s new board members share a passion for rail safety and are all dedicated to our mission to prevent deaths and injuries at railroad crossings and near tracks,” Murphy said. “We are extremely grateful to them, as well as their outgoing counterparts, for their innovative leadership and careful stewardship of our national rail safety education efforts.”
New members on the OLI board include:
- Kenneth “Andy” Elkins, manager of hazmat compliance, Association of American Railroads (AAR) Bureau of Explosives, replaces Michael J. Martino, who retired from AAR as senior director, operations on May 1.
- Martin Conway, deputy chief of Amtrak Police Department, New York Division, replaces Michael Logue, Amtrak’s chief safety officer, who has stepped down from his OLI board position in advance of his upcoming retirement.
- Suzanne Te Beau Rohde, vice president of government affairs and policy for the American Bus Association (ABA), fills a seat formerly held by ABA’s Clyde Hart.
The new members join OLI Board officers Chairman Robert C. VanderClute, president and COO of the consulting firm FirstRail International; Vice Chair Jo Strang, vice president for regulatory affairs at the American Short Line and Regional Railroads Association; Secretary Treasurer Steven Neubauer, director, field safety support for BNSF Railway Company; and existing members:
- Nicole Brewin, vice president government affairs, Railway Supply Institute, Inc.
- Katie Chimelewski, director community affairs and safety, CSX
- Jessica Feder, executive director, Indiana Operation Lifesaver
- Denise Gauthier, senior manager field safety support, BNSF Railway
- Shayne Gill, program director, American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials
- Danny Lites, public safety director, Kansas City Southern Railway
- Scott Sauer, assistant general manager of system safety, SEPTA
- Nancy Sheehan-McCulloch, state coordinator, California Operation Lifesaver
- John Simpson, senior manager grade crossing safety/compliance, Union Pacific Railroad
- Cayela Wimberly, grade crossing safety director, Norfolk Southern Corporation
- Bonnie Murphy, president and CEO, OLI, is a non-voting, ex-officio member of the board.
- Congrats to our new @olinational board members! #railsafetyeducation [http://bit.ly/2rqNk8n]
- Thanks to our #board members for leading our #railsafety mission! [http://bit.ly/2rqNk8n]
About Operation Lifesaver - Operation Lifesaver is a nonprofit public safety education and awareness organization dedicated to reducing collisions, fatalities and injuries at highway-rail crossings and preventing trespassing on or near railroad tracks. A national network of trained volunteers gives free presentations on rail safety and a public awareness campaign, “See Tracks? Think Train!” provides the public with tips and statistics to encourage safe behavior near the tracks. OLI will lead a national observance of U.S. Rail Safety Week, September 24-30, 2017. Learn more about U.S. Rail Safety Week; follow OLI on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.
Operation Lifesaver, Inc. understands the importance of the news media’s role in helping the public make safe decisions around tracks and trains.
To request further information about Operation Lifesaver’s activities, or for additional safety information, email general[at]oli.org or contact our national headquarters office at 703-739-0308.
If you are a reporter seeking information for a local news story, view our list of state Operation Lifesaver program contacts.
If you are on deadline for a story and would like Operation Lifesaver, Inc.'s perspective on a highway-rail safety or trespass prevention topic, email news[at]oli.org
About Operation Lifesaver
Operation Lifesaver is a nonprofit public safety education and awareness organization dedicated to reducing collisions, fatalities and injuries at highway-rail crossings and trespassing on or near railroad tracks. Our team consists of nationwide network of volunteers who work to educate people about rail safety, state coordinators who lead the efforts in states across the U.S. and a national office in Washington, D.C., that supports state programs, develops education materials, and creates public awareness campaigns for audiences of all ages.
Operation Lifesaver, Inc.
425 Third Street SW, Suite 915
Washington, D.C. 20024
Email : [email protected]
Media Inquiries: [email protected]
Transit Inquiries: [email protected]