News & Events
Operation Lifesaver, Inc. Announces New Members on Board of Directors
WASHINGTON, DC, June 20, 2017 – Bonnie Murphy, president and CEO of Operation Lifesaver, Inc. (OLI), and Robert C. VanderClute, OLI board chair, announced that five new members have joined the nonprofit organization’s board of directors, as of June 12.
VanderClute said, “We are pleased to welcome new representatives to the OLI board. As the Class I railroads renew their commitment to rail safety education and OLI’s mission, we look forward to working with these individuals to raise safety awareness across the country and focus on innovative approaches to saving lives.”
New members on the OLI board include:
- John Allberry, general director safety, Union Pacific Railroad, replaces John Simpson, UP’s senior manager grade crossing compliance;
- Stephen Covey, chief of police and chief security officer, Canadian National Railway, fills an at-large seat;
- Kenneth Glover, senior vice president, safety & compliance, Genesee & Wyoming, fills an at-large seat;
- John A. Irwin, AVP safety and environmental/chief safety officer, Norfolk Southern Corporation, replaces Cayela Wimberly, NS’s grade crossing safety director;
- Mark A. Schulze, vice president, safety, training and operations support, BNSF Railway Company, fills a seat held by Steven Neubauer, BNSF’s director, field safety support; and
- Jeffrey M. Songer, chief operating officer/executive vice president, Kansas City Southern, replaces Danny Lites, KCS’s public safety director.
“The Board of Directors and staff of OLI are extremely grateful to the outgoing members for their significant contributions to rail safety education,” said Murphy. “This organization is fortunate to have the support of our committed board members in the rail industry and other organizations along with many other partners as we continue our important nationwide safety efforts.”
- Thanks to all our wonderful @olinational board members for your commitment to rail safety #gratitude http://bit.ly/2sx1PZi
About Operation Lifesaver - Operation Lifesaver is a nonprofit public safety education and awareness organization dedicated to reducing collisions, fatalities and injuries at highway-rail crossings and preventing trespassing on or near railroad tracks. A national network of trained volunteers gives free presentations on rail safety and a public awareness campaign, “See Tracks? Think Train!” provides the public with tips and statistics to encourage safe behavior near the tracks. OLI will lead a national observance of U.S. Rail Safety Week, September 24-30, 2017. Learn more about U.S. Rail Safety Week; follow OLI on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.
Operation Lifesaver, Inc. understands the importance of the news media’s role in helping the public make safe decisions around tracks and trains.
To request further information about Operation Lifesaver’s activities, or for additional safety information, email general[at]oli.org or contact our national headquarters office at 703-739-0308.
If you are a reporter seeking information for a local news story, view our list of state Operation Lifesaver program contacts.
If you are on deadline for a story and would like Operation Lifesaver, Inc.'s perspective on a highway-rail safety or trespass prevention topic, email news[at]oli.org
About Operation Lifesaver
Operation Lifesaver is a nonprofit public safety education and awareness organization dedicated to reducing collisions, fatalities and injuries at highway-rail crossings and trespassing on or near railroad tracks. Our team consists of nationwide network of volunteers who work to educate people about rail safety, state coordinators who lead the efforts in states across the U.S. and a national office in Washington, D.C., that supports state programs, develops education materials, and creates public awareness campaigns for audiences of all ages.
Operation Lifesaver, Inc.
425 Third Street SW, Suite 915
Washington, D.C. 20024
Email : [email protected]
Media Inquiries: [email protected]
Transit Inquiries: [email protected]