Volunteer for OLI
Each year, Operation Lifesaver's network of trained Volunteers conduct free programs on rail safety education for hundreds of groups around the country.
Become a Volunteer
In 2013, Operation Lifesaver is transitioning from a certified presenter program to the Operation Lifesaver Authorized Volunteer (OLAV) program. Existing Operation Lifesaver presenters can go through the online OLAV training, and are able to be both an OL Presenter and an OLAV through 2013.
New volunteers can apply online by clicking here.
Beginning in 2015, OLI will completely switch over to the OLAV system.
Steps to becoming an Operation Lifesaver Authorized Volunteer (OLAV)
- Volunteers will first attend the online classroom, “The AVE” (Authorized Volunteer e-Learning), which will be available 24/7, whenever it fits YOUR schedule. You can save your progress in the online training module, and are encouraged to complete it over more than one session.
- After completing the AVE online classroom, the next step will be to attend an in-person classroom session or videoconference where you will complete the OLAV process.
- Authorized volunteers will continue to report their safety activities via Operation Lifesaver’s online reporting database, so they can easily keep track of their presentations, training and special events.
- With the new OLAV program, OL volunteers will have more options to choose from for interacting with an audience.
- Volunteers must fully understand and agree to abide by all OLI general policies and procedures as stated in the volunteer application.